The original home of the blog known as 802 Online

Thursday, August 26, 2004

4 years ago yesterday...

My partner and I were officially civil unioned. We had a big, memorable party at the Rock Point School library on Labor Day weekend 2000. The "ceremony" at Rhombus Gallery, however, was private. Marc Awodey, my friend, mentor, and favorite Justice of the Peace, presided. Ann-Elise and I chose not to invite anyone else.

The three of us met at Rhombus, where I had given my first solo poetry reading, and where Ann-Elise and I had gone on our first date. Marc asked us if we agreed to enter into this contractual, state-sanctioned relationship, and we said yes. That was pretty much it. We didn't even write vows. We never have. We're still not quite sure what we agreed to. But we're still together four years later. Rhombus Gallery, alas, has since fallen victim to gentrification.

It's worth noting, though, that we don't actually celebrate August 25th as our anniversary. Like most queer couples, we never expected to be able to get married (and we may never be able to). We always celebrated on April 25th--the day we had our first date--and we continue to do so. Is this a sign of internalized homophobia? Perhaps. But I think it's just more exciting to say we've been together for 6 1/2 years rather than 4.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?