The original home of the blog known as 802 Online

Friday, August 27, 2004

Live from Montpelier

Blogging this morning from Capitol Grounds in Montpelier, which is home to two free wi-fi connections--one through a service called NoWirz, the other through the Vermont Broadband Council. The VBC office is upstairs, and they're kind enough to keep their signal open to the public. At least until web traffic skyrockets and starts slowing the connection.

I stopped here on my way to the city clerk's office in Greensboro, Vermont, where I hope to find the deed to Chief Justice William Rehnquist's summer home. It contains a restrictive covenant dating back to the 1920s that says no one of the "Hebrew race" can buy the land. This unpleasant fact came to light during Rehnquist's Chief Justice confirmation hearings in the 1980s. Obviously this kind of clause is now non-binding and unenforceable, but once they're part of a deed, they're tough to remove.

I talked to the Chief last night. He says he didn't know the clause was there until those hearings. Didn't know it when he bought the property in 1974. And that's...plausible. Lots of other famous folks have discovered racist restrictive covenants in their deeds, people like JFK, George Bush, and Richard Nixon (or so I've read). The lesson, it seems, is always read the fine print.

Comments:
Crez! Amy chiming in from S. Champlain St. RE: "...plausible". Nice dots, there Cresmer. Yyyeah. AR
 
Meant to add: Love your marital status description. Clever bastid. AR
 
Your friendly neighbor/blog-virgin here. So, did you find the deed? Did it confirm what you alreday know? But the bigger question is - will it make a snappy news story?
At home with my friendly zipper spider. Come visit.
 
Hey- Time to update the blog! I want to see the Frog Lady one. Aren't I supposed to be able to link up and comment on all your new stories? Or is that not how this blog stuff is supposed to work...?
 
to all of the major RSS feed directories on the Internet.
 
Regarding your blog - aol broadband free. I have just signed up to talktalk broadband and is an absolutely superb deal. I get free telephone calls 24/7 plus free 8Mb/s broadband (which is lightening fast btw). I would definitely recommend talktalk broadband for anyone in the uk. Also available at www.bargainplace.co.uk
 
relationship boundary
 
Good blog - very interesting!! Thought you might like some excellent advice on driving extra traffic to your website/blog - I'm into free php web hosting and to drive traffic to my website I was searching around the internet for absolutely ages looking for SEO tools to fire my site up the Google search engine, then I signed up free for this superb traffic gereating tool - I now have loads of hits to my websites/blogs and my site is shooting up the Google rankings quicker than ever before.

Consequently this can see your affiliate commissions shoot through the roof - meaning lots of extra money coming in for you and your family. Sign up now - it's free.
. Sorry if this information is of no use to you but seeing as you have the anonymous feature enabled I thought I should share this free bit of essential promotional advice with you and would hope you would do the same for me.

I hope the tool will serve you equally as well as it has me!!

Best of luck, cheers for now, dave.
 
Hi everyone

We do not agree with this year BRIT awards decision.

Please go to see our little survey

http://micropoll.com/t/KDqOnZBCWt

Lady Gaga can not be better than Nina Hagen

Poll supported by BRIT awards 2010 sponsor femmestyle
[url=http://www.femmestyle.ch/schoenheitschirurgie/facelift/index.html]facelift[/url]

PRINCE HARRY WISHES HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BRIT AWARDS
With a special birthday message from Prince Harry for the 30th Anniversary of the BRIT Awards
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?